Saturday, June 12, 2010

2010 Oil Spill

Module 5: Participation —Process summary
Stephen Macdonald June 12, 2010

http://students.uwf.edu/scm19/Spill.avi

SPILL EXTENT.AVI

http://students.uwf.edu/scm19/closures.avi

FISHERIES CLOSURES.AVI

The Role of GIS and the 2010 Gulf Oil Spill

I think that the response has come together as if it were pre planned. The mere scope of the problem is mind boggling. When I first heard of it on television I was under the impression that the now infamous blowout preventer worked and the size of the spill was 200 barrels. Then it was thousands of gallons. Now they are talking about millions of barrels. It is hard to believe that almost a third of the Gulf is covered with oil.

As I did the research for the .avi I was looking at the .pdf’s and shapefiles for the fisheries closures and I could tell that the mapping being provided by NOAA was evolving. The product being provided and fields in the shape files were becoming more definitive, complete, and more professional looking.

The amount of work that went into the Geo referenced photography was impressive. The clarity and density of the photography was good. The CAP logo on the photography in region 2 was good to see. My daughter was in the CAP for years. All that training is being put to good use. There is no doubt that booming around Big Lagoon State Park was in place on June 02, 2010.

This stuff is great. I defiantly want to be a GIS Chief when I grow-up.


PROCESS SUMMARY
BP Gulf Oil Spill 2010
Fisheries closure time line

1. Explore the data.
a. Google NOAA for fisheries closure files
b. Search the archives for shapefiles
c. down load the imagery layer from ESRI

2. Deliverables:
• Produce an .avi
• And process summary
• Post to blog

Build Database

Import the shapefiles into a data base.
This made it easier to experiment with the Animation tool.

Add layers

1. Imagery Layer
2. 15 Fishery Closures shapefiles from May 02, 2010 to June 07, 2010

Process: Fisheries Closure

I once I found the animation tool I fooled around with it to see if I could figure it out without reading the instructions. When that failed I Googled Animation ESRI AcrGis 9.3. I got some interesting instruction for animating a time line. I tried to figure out how to put a polygon into an excel file. That failed. I Googled group animation ESRI ArcGIS 9.3 got the instructions. Started a new map tried it out. Worked the first time. Then I tested it in the blog. I had to open my blog outside the server to see the Quicktime movie. Looked good so I went back built a better map with neat lines then exported the .avi again. Looks OK Needs some work, but it took a half of a day.

Process: Oil Spill

After I reviewed the assignment I determined that the specific instructions were for the oil spill. I downloaded the information from the R: drive and I could reset the projection for the spill shape files, so I went to geoComons.com and down loaded them again. I opened a new document and added the state and Neighboring countries files then added the spill shape files and standardized the colors and made an ,avi and loaded it on to the I: drive.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I graduated from University of West Florida in 2017 with a 3.0 GPA and 188 credit hours. I have 24 credit hours in Geographic Information Science

Followers